Edgewood Elementary School - Home of the Busy Bee Scholars

xSEL Summer Learning

The Selma City School district is offering various, in-person, summer learning opportunities through the Excel in Summer Enriched Learning (xSEL) program to forward the learning of our scholars in Grades K-12. All scholars are invited to take advantage of the structured learning activities provided by xSEL. Effective cross-curriculum enrichment/remediation instruction will be provided to scholars in Grades K-8. Current scholars receiving either Tier 2 and/or Tier 3 instruction are required to attend the xSEL program. In addition, multiple options for enrichment/remediation and promotion summer school will be offered to scholars in grades 6-12. In addition, Selma High School will offer credit-bearing courses for acceleration for incoming freshmen. Very important, the xSEL program is free to all Selma City Schools scholars. Promotion Summer School is also FREE for currently enrolled scholars. 
The procedures and policies outlined by Selma City Schools in the Student-Parent Resource Handbook, including the requirement for daily attendance will be strictly enforced. It is expected that scholars will fully cooperate, participate, and follow the instructions of instructors. The xSEL  program starts on Monday, June 7, 2021 and ends on Thursday, July 15, 2021, Monday–Thursday from 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. daily. 
Please complete the online or the paper application before Friday, May 7, 2021 if planning for your scholar to participate in the program. Be on the lookout for the exciting happenings that will be offered during xSEL!

Alabama Literacy Act

In an effort to improve reading outcomes for students across Alabama, the Alabama Legislature passed the Alabama Literacy Act, which became law on June 10, 2019.

This legislation extends comprehensive information and other guidance for educators to focus concentrated and systematic efforts to improve the reading skills of all public school students in early literacy so that every student is reading at or above grade level by the end of the third grade.

To learn more about the Alabama Literacy Act, click the links below:

Remote Learning Expectations

View text-based website