The mission of the Selma City School District is to provide a safe and supportive teaching and learning environment, through the collaboration and partnerships of parents and community.
The vision of the Selma City School District is to be documented as a model school district where students are empowered through academic excellence to achieve success throughout life.
Our Core Values
- STUDENTS FIRST: We put the needs of ALL our scholars first and serve the whole-child.
- EXCELLENCE: We have high expectations of ourselves and expect to be held accountable to produce exemplary outcomes.
- TEAMWORK: We believe that we are stronger together and that our greatest asset is our collective vision and ability to work collaboratively.
- JOY: We believe in our work and will enthusiastically celebrate the success of Team Selma.
- EQUITY: We are intentional about eliminating opportunity gaps and removing barriers to ensure every scholar succeeds.
- INTEGRITY: WE do the right thing because it’s the right thing to do.
The following principles guide the Selma City School System in its responsibility to provide a quality education for each child:
- Learning places for children and teaching places for adults should be safe, healthy, and orderly environments.
- The highest quality of teaching should be evident every day through a rigorous/challenging curriculum and relevant applications of content standards.
- Every child has the ability to learn and should be afforded equitable learning opportunities.
- Early learning is a critical component for success in school.
- Parental, family, and community engagement offer necessary resources and support systems in order to develop students into responsible citizens.
- The process of making decisions based upon scientifically-based data yield high quality outcomes.
- Continuous improvement through data analysis, strategic planning, and performance assessments embodies a commitment to excellence.
- A focus on the responsible use of resources and support systems for facilities, materials, tools, personnel creates opportunities for optimal teaching and learning.
- Student involvement in service learning develops responsible citizens for society.
- Integrity in leadership and governance builds public confidence in the mission of the school system.
Our Framework for Excellence
2018 - 2023
Strategic Goals and Objectives
AREA 1: TEACHING AND LEARNING
Goal 1: Ensure all students are prepared for grade-level success, college, and career readiness through high-quality teaching and focused experiences for intellectual and social development.
• Objective 1: Develop annual performance benchmarks to promote systematic achievement growth and success for all students
• Objective 2: Ensure equitable access to rigorous standards-based instruction and strategic teaching
• Objective 3: Provide targeted and personalized professional development for instructional staff
AREA 2: CULTURE, CLIMATE, AND COMMUNITY
Goal 2: Enhance the supports and opportunities for engagement in schools for all stakeholders
• Objective 1: Ensure schools are physically and emotionally safe from perceived and actual threats
• Objective 2: Develop positive relationships with stakeholders to promote diversity and inclusion as well as involvement and
participation across Selma City School district
AREA 3: LEADERSHIP, MANAGEMENT, AND GOVERNANCE
Goal 3: Strategically and efficiently allocate human and fiscal resources to ensure long-term viability within the district
• Objective 1: Actively recruit, hire, and retain a qualified and diverse workforce
• Objective 2: Ensure every school and every department has highly effective
• Objective 3: Provide ongoing, job-embedded responsive professional learning for all staff to
improve overall performance
• Objective 4: Continue to maintain a minimum of one-months reserve in general fund
AREA 4: FACILITIES AND TECHNOLOGY
Goal 4: Streamline the district’s geographic footprint to ensure a more equitable distribution of resources, more efficient operations, and to enhance the current technology infrastructure, equipment, and devices available in schools
• Objective 1: Systematically analyze and review facilities to support services for improved district outcomes
• Objective 2: Provide technologies that operate efficiently, enrich programs and improve district outcomes
Area 5: SAFETY AND WELLNESS
Goal 5: Provide support for the physical, emotional, and mental wellness of all scholars and staff.
- Objective 1: Provide technologies that operate efficiently, enrich programs and improve district outcomes