District Information as of 2022
Why work in Selma City Schools?
● We put students and teachers first!
● We are getting back to the basics!
● Our teachers are not overwhelmed with curriculum
● We have streamlined paperwork and deliverables
● No overbearing central office
● We have reduced class-sizes
● We have a strong Mentoring Program
● We offer stipends ($7500.00 possible)
● We have a state of the art high school facility
● We are expanding extracurriculars and sports
● We have 1:1 technology K-12
● We offer wrap-around services for employees and students (therapy, outreach, SEL, therapy, social emotional support,)
● Our Special Education Program has 3 adaptive PE rooms, specialized curriculum, strong district support, monthly collaborative meetings built-in to help minimize paperwork
● We have self-care and wellness rooms for employees at every school with special activities to promote self-care for teachers
● We offer after school programs at most of our schools
● We have a Culinary Arts Food Truck
● We have a Model PreK site for the state
● We are a family-oriented environment
The mission of the Selma City School District is to provide a safe and supportive teaching and learning environment, through the collaboration and partnerships of parents and community.
The vision of the Selma City School District is to be documented as a model school district where students are empowered through academic excellence to achieve success throughout life.
Our Core Values
- STUDENTS FIRST: We put the needs of ALL our scholars first and serve the whole-child.
- EXCELLENCE: We have high expectations of ourselves and expect to be held accountable to produce exemplary outcomes.
- TEAMWORK: We believe that we are stronger together and that our greatest asset is our collective vision and ability to work collaboratively.
- JOY: We believe in our work and will enthusiastically celebrate the success of Team Selma.
- EQUITY: We are intentional about eliminating opportunity gaps and removing barriers to ensure every scholar succeeds.
- INTEGRITY: WE do the right thing because it’s the right thing to do.
The following principles guide the Selma City School System in its responsibility to provide a quality education for each child:
- Learning places for children and teaching places for adults should be safe, healthy, and orderly environments.
- The highest quality of teaching should be evident every day through a rigorous/challenging curriculum and relevant applications of content standards.
- Every child has the ability to learn and should be afforded equitable learning opportunities.
- Early learning is a critical component for success in school.
- Parental, family, and community engagement offer necessary resources and support systems in order to develop students into responsible citizens.
- The process of making decisions based upon scientifically-based data yield high quality outcomes.
- Continuous improvement through data analysis, strategic planning, and performance assessments embodies a commitment to excellence.
- A focus on the responsible use of resources and support systems for facilities, materials, tools, personnel creates opportunities for optimal teaching and learning.
- Student involvement in service learning develops responsible citizens for society.
- Integrity in leadership and governance builds public confidence in the mission of the school system.