Selma City Schools
The vision of the Selma City School System is to be documented as a world-class learning
institution that develops students in academics and citizenship so that they are prepared to
compete, successfully, in a global society.
The mission of the Selma City School System is to provide a safe and supportive teaching and
learning environment, through the collaboration and partnerships of parents and community, that
prepares students to be college and career ready for lifelong success in a global society.
- Safe, Healthy, and Orderly Environments
- Rigor and Relevance for High Quality Teaching and Learning
- Equitable Learning Opportunities
- Parental, Family, and Community Engagement Data-driven Decision Making Continuous Improvement
The following principles guide the Selma City School System in its responsibility to provide a
quality education for each child.
- Learning places for children and teaching places for adults should be safe, healthy, and orderly environments.
- The highest quality of teaching should be evident every day through a rigorous/challenging curriculum and relevant applications of content standards.
- Every child has the ability to learn and should be afforded equitable learning opportunities.
- Early learning is a critical component for success in school.
- Parental, family, and community engagement offer necessary resources and support systems in order to develop students into responsible citizens.
- The process of making decisions based upon scientifically-based data yield high quality outcomes.
- Continuous improvement through data analysis, strategic planning, and performance assessments embodies a commitment to excellence.
- A focus on the responsible use of resources and support systems for facilities, materials, tools, personnel creates opportunities for optimal teaching and learning.
- Student involvement in service learning develops responsible citizens for society.
- Integrity in leadership and governance builds public confidence in the mission of the school system.