2194 Broad Street Selma, AL 36701

Hide other sections
Selma City Schools Registration & Enrollment Requirements



Registration Requirements and Enrollment Procedures


Attendance Required


Children between the ages of seven and 17 years are required to attend a public school, private school, church school, or be instructed by a competent private tutor for the entire length of the school term in every scholastic year (minimum of 180 teaching days).


Age Requirements

Minimum age requirements for school entry are established by State law. In order to be admitted to a public kindergarten in Alabama, a child must be five years of age on or before September 1. First grade students must be six years of age on or before September 1. Children participating in the Title I preschool program must be four years of age on or before September 1.



Admission to public school shall be on an individual basis on the Admission Application of the parents, legal custodian, or guardian of the child to a Selma City School at the beginning of each school year, under such rules and regulations as the Selma City Board of Education prescribes.


Nondiscriminatory Admittance Policy


Children who are zoned to attend the Selma City Schools and who are homeless, migrant, non-English speaking, immigrant, or disabled will have access to a free, appropriate education. Students will not be prohibited from school attendance due to barriers such as:


  • Residency requirements
  • Lack of Social Security
  • Lack of Birth Certificate
  • Lack of immunizations
  • Legal custody requirements
  • Transportation
  • Language barriers
  • Disabilities

Documentation Required for Admission


Parents/guardians must provide the following documents for students who are enrolling in school each year 

  • Valid identification (I.D.) for parent/guardian
  • Official birth certificate for student
  • Valid social security card for student
  • Current immunization and completed Health Assessment Record Form for student
  • Two proofs of residence for parent/guardian
  • Approved Inter-Transfer (outside) or Intra-Transfer (within) Forms as applicable
  • Copies of the most recent Report Card and Attendance,  Discipline Records for Transfer Students



 Registration Requirements and Enrollment Procedures



Valid Identification For Parent/Guardian

  • Government-issued photo identifications
  • Employee identification for employee with photo of employee produced by the employer
  • Photo identification card issued by an Alabama college or university
  • Photo identification issued from Alabama technical or professional school
  • Valid U.S. passport
  • Valid pilot's license issued by the FAA
  • Valid U.S. military identification
  • Birth certificate (certified copy)
  • Valid Social Security card
  • Naturalization document (certified copy)
  • Court record of adoption (certified copy)
  • Court record of name change (certified copy)
  • Valid Medicaid card
  • Valid Medicare card
  • Valid electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card
  • Government document that shows the name and address

Legal Parent/Guardian

  • Birth Certificate listing parent
  • Custodial documentation for DHR or a relative
  • Delegation of Parental Authority (temporary guardianship via DHR)

Official Birth Certificate

  • Students are required to present an original copy of the birth certificate for registration.
  • Birth certificates may be purchased at the Dallas County Health Dept. for a $15.00 fee, check or money order made payable to "Vital Records".

Valid Social Security Cards

  • A student may not be denied registration who does not have a social security number or who has not completed an application. Every effort should be made to get each student's social security number.
  • A copy of the social security card is not required. It is sufficient to verify the card, copy the number onto a registration form, and put in the permanent record when a parent/and or guardian does not want the card copied.
  • Only the Attendance Officer is authorized to issue temporary social security numbers when a student does not have one.











Each child enrolled in day care, Head Start, and public or private school in Alabama must have a valid Alabama Certificate of Immunization (not a copy) on file at the facility that they attend.


  • The certificate may be obtained from the physician or clinic that administers the vaccine or may be completed by a county health department in the state if the parent presents a vaccine record from the provider.
  • For students who are moving to Alabama, out-of-state vaccine records must be transferred to the Alabama Certificate of Immunization prior to Day Care, Head Start, or school entry. Immunizations will be maintained and monitored annually.
  • Effective fall of 2010, all students entering sixth grade will need a booster dose of tetanus and diphtheria toxoids and acellualar pertussis vaccine (Tdap). The vaccine must be given at age 11 or 12.
  • The State of Alabama does not recognize philosophical, moral, or ethical exemption from vaccination. A medical exemption may be issued by a physician or an Alabama Certificate of Religious Exemption may be obtained from the local county health department.

Proofs of Residency

  • Property tax record
  • Mortgage document
  • Property deed
  • Apartment or home lease (rent receipts not accepted)
  • Two utility bills (originals for school to copy)
  • Letter of address confirmation from DHR or other state agency.

Attendance Zones

The Selma City Board of Education defines resident students as students whose parents or legal guardians live within the jurisdiction of the school system. All resident students of the school system shall be entitled to be admitted, subject to policy limitations and judicial constraints, to the school serving their attendance zone.


Out-of-Zone Students

  • Students transferring from one Selma City School to another must complete an Intra-Transfer Form, which must be approved by the principal first and then the superintendent.
  • Students transferring from outside of the Selma City limits must complete an Inter-Transfer Form, which must be approved by the principal first and then, the superintendent.
  • Any student out-of-zone must complete a transfer form each year.
  • One form per student, families may not share transfer forms.

Transfer Student Placement

  • Students transferring from another school system must provide a recent Report Card, Withdrawal for the last school attended, and current Discipline and Attendance Report.
  • Students will be placed based on the above-mentioned documents temporary; however, once the official transcript/records are received students will be placed according to the official documentation.


Official Transcripts/Records

All transcripts/records shall be transferred directly from one school official to the other.